THE BACKSTORY: I’ve had this dresser for as long as I can remember and as soon as I decided to move out my mom “decided” the dresser would move out with me. Because of it’s dashing good looks, for a while I had the dresser as storage inside my closet. But pretty soon my closet was overflowing and the dresser needed to be pushed out into the real world where it could do some real good. So there it sat, like a blank canvas waiting to be messed with… for 4 years.
THE PROCESS: I think the fact that the dresser was so plain made me more weary to do anything with it because you could basically do ANYTHING to it and it would look better! One day I snaped and I decided once and for all to finally go for it…so I scrounged around to see what kind of supplies I had to work with and found some mint green and bright orange paint left over from some room painting projects. After a days worth of researching vintage and new pieces on ebay and Etsy to get inspiration I seemed to be drawn towards the idea of almost overlapping circles to draw attention away from how rectangular everything on the dresser was. So I measured out center points and made some compasses on each side to help guide me in making good circles. Basically I taped some string to the side of the dresser where the center of the circle would be and cut it to the correct radius. Then I just moved the string around and slowly taped off where the end of the string was and went all around. Eventually the circles needed to become ovals so they would look more proportional, so with a little tweaking I was all ready to paint. It only took about 2 coats to cover both sides and VIOLA!